We offer caring, empathic, confidential and efficacy-based addictions counselling services for a range of presenting issues including drug, alcohol, cigarette/cigar, gambling, internet, shopping, sex and process addictions.
Addiction is a complex disorder that requires treatment through multiple stages of care and rehabilitation. We utilise a general flow for addictions counselling that would usually follow these steps;
Addictions Counselling Process
- Diagnosing problems
2. Setting appropriate goals
3. Specifying objectives
4. Generating and deciding among alternatives
5. Preparing action plans
6. Implementing and evaluating plans
Counselling services can be carried out at any point in the addictions recovery process starting with 1-1 counseling, group or family counselling or our counsellors can work alongside existing therapeutic programmes to offer after treatment care, continuing care and relapse prevention.
Individual addictions counselling centres around either total abstinence or the minimization of usage behaviours and a focus on solutions to cease destructive behaviors and unhealthy relationships. A recovery program with an emphasis on short- term goals and strategies to change patterns of behavior is structured for the individuals’ needs. Group addictions counselling and therapy can also be a successful way to help promote a drug free lifestyle and can significantly increase the chances of long-term recovery when integrated with other individualised forms of care.
Addictions Counselling Therapies
We work with a variety of modalities when supporting all counselling clients but specifically use the following in support of addictions counselling.
Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
CBT is a talking therapy that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave. CBT works under the assumption that your beliefs influence your emotions and your behavior and that by identifying and addressing problematic thoughts you can help change your behavior and experiences for the better. CBT attempts to help clients recognize, avoid and cope. That is, recognize the situations in which they are most likely to use drugs, avoid these situations, and cope more effectively with a range of problems and problematic behaviors associated with substance abuse.
Motivational Interviewing (MI)
MI is a therapeutic style intended to help clinicians work with clients to address their ambivalence. While conducting a motivational interview, the clinician is directive yet client centered, with the goal of eliciting self-motivational statements and behavioral change from the client, and seeking to create client discrepancy to enhance motivation for positive change.
Client-centered therapy, also known as person-centered therapy, is a non-directive form of talk therapy. Clients often do look to their therapists for some type of guidance or direction. Self-direction plays a vital part of client-centered therapy and the therapeutic relationship could lead to insights and lasting changes in a client.
Signs of addiction: Behavioral, Psychological and Physical.
Physical Warning Signs
- Blood Shot Eyes
- Drastic changes in appetite- weight loss & weight gain
- Deterioration in physical looks, hygiene and grooming
- Shifts in sleep patterns Coughing Pupils may become dilated
- Tremors, slurred speech, impaired coordination
- Unusual smells- breath, body or clothing
Behavioral Warning Signs
- Changes friends and hobbies – loss of interest
- Isolating oneself in order to hide drug or alcohol use
- Drop in attendance work school – letting responsibility slide, missing appointments
- Financial problems – stealing
- Frequently getting into trouble, fights, accidents, illegal activities
- Repeated unexpected outings, often with a sense of urgency – change in daily routine
- Secretive, lying about where you are, where you are going, where you have been
- Strained relationships
- Disappears for long periods of time
Psychological Warning Signs
- Appearing fearful, anxious, or paranoid without reason
- Appearing lethargic or spaced out
- Changes in energy suddenly and extremely tired or energetic
- Lack of motivation
- Sudden mood swings angry outbursts which are uncharacteristic
Addictions Counselling with Psynamo
We offer discrete, professional, empathic and confidential addictions counselling services across the lifespan. We work to ensure top ethical standards are in play with all of our counselling staff as well as a non-judgmental stance. Call today if you would like to learn more or make an appointment just to speak with someone. Your enquiries will always be held in the strictest of confidence.